Written by: ACDP
Article Source: Supplied
“The African Christian Democratic Party would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to the Mrwetyana family on the brutal rape and murder of their daughter, sister and friend Uyinene Mrwetyana.
It is with much regret that we as a nation are faced with so much brutality and violence that is targeted at our women and children. The justice system needs to act swiftly and decisively on those that are found guilty of such gruesome crimes.
Over the last few weeks we have heard of the rape and/or murder of Jesse Hess, Leighandra Jegels, Janika Mallo, Lynette Volschenk and Meghan Cremer. This needs to stop and we cannot let gender based violence become the norm in this nation and for perpetrators to commit crimes with impunity.
The ACDP has been a proponent of stricter sentences to be enforced in our justice system.
We commit to;
- Implement a comprehensive anti-crime strategy to ensure that criminals are swiftly arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced
- Reintroduce specialised police units and improve the training of police officers to ensure that investigations result in successful convictions;
- Increase the number of specialised courts, such as Sexual Offences Courts, and services for victims of sexual offences, domestic violence and human trafficking, particularly those involving vulnerable women and children;
- Ensure that police stations, forensic laboratories and courts are well-equipped and staffed with skilled and trained personnel ;
- Ensure heavier minimum sentences are imposed for more serious crimes;
- Review the parole system and deny bail for murder, rape and human trafficking;
- We commit to impose the death penalty for people convicted of premediated murder
It is high time our justice protected women and children who are being violated and are dying at an exponential rate.
We call for justice now, we call for action.”
Date published: 04/09/2019
JOY! News is a Christian news portal that shares pre-published articles by writers around the world. Each article is sourced and linked to the origin, and each article is credited with the author’s name. Although we do publish many articles that have been written in-house by JOY! journalists, we do not exclusively create our own content. Any views or opinions presented on this website are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.